Menu

Sean Longstaff to Manchester United rumours played down by Steve Bruce

Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce is aware of the speculation, but claims to have been offered no indiction that his former club will make a formal bid in January.

Manchester United have been long linked with a move for Magpies midfielder Sean Longstaff, though a recent report from GOAL claims Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has cooled transfer interest in the Newcastle star.

However, we don’t think that will put a stop to the constant mentions of Longstaff in the gossip columns that fill the English newspapers.

READ MORE: Predicting Man Utd’s starting XI for Tuesday’s Carabao Cup clash with Man City

Rumours regarding a switch to Old Trafford first appeared in the summer of 2019, and have now continued on into January 2020.

The Red Devils should be on the lookout for midfield reinforcements this month to help improve Solskjaer’s inconsistent side, who sit five points adrift of Chelsea in fourth place.

Bruce says he is not expecting an offer from United.

“Look, I have said it from day one, we can never stop the speculation,” the former United centre-back told Chronicle Live. “As far as I am concerned, I know Mike Phelan and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer very well and at this moment I don’t know anything about it.

“We don’t want to sell our best young players. That’s certainly the case with Longy.

“This time last year he was just breaking through and he got in because of injury.

“The kid has done very well and let’s see if we can keep playing.”

Solskjaer may push for new signings following the injuries to Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay, which leave United even lighter in the midfield department.

Longstaff has made 15 appearances for the Magpies across all competitions this season — one being the 1-0 win over MUFC in October when his brother Matty scored the match-winner.

More Stories Man Utd Manchester United Newcastle United Sean Longstaff Steve Bruce

Comments are closed.