Roy Keane left in shock after alleged fan assault, court told

Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane has told a court he was left “in shock” after being allegedly “headbutted” through doors while attending a Manchester United match.

A 43-year-old man named Scott Law from Waltham Abbey, Essex, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of common assault.

The incident occurred at the Emirates Stadium on September 3 last year, following Arsenal’s 3-1 win over United, where Keane had been working as a pundit.

Keane told Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday that the incident happened when he and fellow Sky Sports pundit Micah Richards were walking down to conduct match analysis.

“There was lots of noise and shouting, as you would expect at a football match,” Keane said, as per the Irish Independent.

“I was just walking and, before I knew it, I was hit. I felt the contact and fell back through some doors.

“I was absolutely not expecting it. The only way I can describe it is that I was in shock. I didn’t expect it to happen, not when I was in my workplace.”

Should Manchester United stand by Erik ten Hag?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A clip emerged on social media showing Richards stepping in tow calm the situation.

Keane added: “Micah then gets hold of someone. He was just trying to get a grip of him and make sure he didn’t run off.

“I was saying ‘Call the police’. For about 15 or 20 seconds Micah was holding him up against a wall (to stop) him getting away.

“We missed the final two foals but that was the least of my worries.”

Keane claims to have suffered bruising on his chest and arms as a result of the incident.

The trial is expected to conclude on Friday.

Subscribe to the Stretty News podcast Strettycast for weekly episodes on Manchester United. You can also sign up to the ad-free Stretty Newsletter. Get the Stretty News verdict on all matters Manchester United. 

More Stories Arsenal Manchester United Micah Richards Roy Keane