Manchester United have just two games remaining this season and incoming manager Erik ten Hag, who has signed a three-year deal, is being increasingly quizzed on the biggest challenge of his managerial career.
Before he takes the hot seat at Old Trafford, he has a title to secure in the Eredivisie. His Ajax side is four points clear of their closest competitors with three games remaining.
Ajax’s fine domestic season paired with their sparkling form in Europe has led to reports suggesting that Ten Hag would be keen to bring some of his players with him to United.
The 52-year-old was quizzed on that in his pre-match press conference this week and denied suggestions that he had signed an agreement preventing him from raiding the Dutch club when he eventually starts working for United.
Read more: (Video) Sir Jim Ratcliffe responds to calls he should buy Man Utd instead of Chelsea
“No, there are no agreements about that. I now have very good players, but it’s not an issue at all,” Ten Hag said in a firm and unequivocal response to the claims, according to Voetbal International, via Sport Witness.
One of the biggest question-marks Ten Hag will have to deal with is going to be Cristiano Ronaldo’s future. The 37-year-old is, by far, United’s talisman and his 18 goals in the Premier League this season have been a saving grace at times.
With just 12 months left on his contract and a first senior season outside the Champions League looming, there were doubts over his future at Old Trafford but earlier on Friday, there were reports that Ten Hag was keen to keep the forward around.
As expected, Ten Hag was also quizzed on Ronaldo’s future in Friday’s pre-match press conference but remained tight-lipped on the situation.
“Those are questions for the future. We are in an important title race and an important week. I now want to focus my attention on that and not on Manchester United,” he said.