It hasn’t been a successful season for Cristiano Ronaldo since returning to Manchester United, but that has not stopped the 37-year-old becoming one of the side’s top performers throughout the season.
Despite the fact it’s been a horrific campaign for United, going a fifth year without winning a trophy, Ronaldo has continued breaking goal records.
Although the five-time Ballon d’Or winner has scored 16 goals in the Premier League and 6 more in the Champions League, it was not enough to earn him a place in FourFourTwo’s list of the 10 best European players right now.
It also comes as a blow to Manchester United that none of our players made the top 10, which consists of four Premier League stars — not including Liverpool talisman Mohamed Salah.
Top 10 European footballers right now – via FourFourTwo
10. Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich)
9. Ruben Dias (Manchester City
8. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur)
7. Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
6. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
5. Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund)
4. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
3. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain)
2. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)
1. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
We could definitely argue that Ronaldo is more deserving of a place than Muller and Dias, but it will cushion the blow for the Portuguese superstar to see Lionel Messi excluded from the list.
Messi – like Ronaldo – is not the player he once was, but that doesn’t change the fact I want to see CR7 at Old Trafford next season.
Ronaldo was United’s best player again at the weekend when the Reds suffered a defeat at the Emirates.