Menu

Solskjaer says he has ‘no plans’ to let Martial play against Man Utd

Anthony Martial made his return to the Manchester United side last week, playing the first half in a 4-0 demolition job of Everton at Old Trafford.

The Frenchman endured his toughest season yet at the club last term, scoring just four goals in the Premier League and having his campaign cut short after suffering a knee injury in March.

The injury ruled him out of this summer’s European Championship too but according to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, he has no plans of letting Martial play against his side this season. The Norwegian boss made his defence of the forward, insisting that he will continue to prove people wrong.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if other teams targetted Anthony (Martial) because he’s a very good player,” Solskjaer said in his pre-match press conference, as seen on the official Manchester United YouTube channel.

“I’ve got no plans whatsoever for him to play against us. Anthony’s come back strong, hungry, with a determination to prove his fitness and his quality.

Read more: Everton make offer to sign Man Utd midfielder on loan

“Last season was a difficult and disappointing one for him and you can see that little bit of grit between his teeth again and he’s up for the challenge. He’s a Man United player and we’re happy to have him. He’s proven doubters wrong so many times.”

The comments from Solskjaer will likely squash any rumours of Martial leaving the club, with reports of interest from Inter gaining momentum as the summer transfer window has progressed.

Martial could feature this weekend, with Saturday’s Premier League curtain-raiser against Leeds less than 24 hours away. The encounter will also see a full Old Trafford for the first time since March 2020.

More Stories Anthony Martial inter Leeds Manchester United Premier League

Comments are closed.