Reports earlier this week claimed that Marcus Rashford had decided to press ahead with plans to undergo surgery on a longstanding shoulder injury. The problem was initially sustained in November last year but the speedy winger managed the injury throughout the rest of the season.
The injury is said to have been one cause for Rashford’s form towards the end of the campaign and the 23-year-old even failed to start any of England’s seven games at this summer’s European Championship.
Surgery on his shoulder would rule Rashford out for three months, which would mean that Solskjaer is without his star forward for a large chunk of the season.
Solskjaer addressed the situation after Manchester United’s 2-1 win over Derby, insisting that a decision had not been taken yet and that experts are still being consulted.
Solskjaer on Rashford operation: "We are looking at the best options. He went away to reflect on it a little bit. We have to take the best course of action for him + the club. We are still addressing that with the experts."#MUFC
— Laurie Whitwell (@lauriewhitwell) July 18, 2021
“We are looking at the best option (for Rashford),” the United boss said, as per The Athletic journalist Laurie Whitwell. “He went away to reflect on it a little bit. We have to take the best course of action for him and the club. We are still addressing that with the experts.”
Solskjaer’s comments indicate that no decision has been taken as of today but also that the possibility of Rashford being sidelined for the start of the season remains.