Menu

Man Utd stance on signing free agents amid Fernando Llorente speculation

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Manchester United will NOT move for any free agents amid Alexis Sanchez’s imminent departure.

The Chile international is set to join Inter Milan on a season-long loan after an underwhelming spell at Old Trafford, during which he was the club’s highest paid player. United will stay pay a large proportion of his wages while he plays in Italy.

Inter have until the European transfer deadline on September 2 to complete the loan move, but an update from Sky Italia reporter Fabrizio Romano on Tuesday night claimed that the Red Devils had given the green light after receiving improved terms.

READ MORE: Juan Mata reflects on decision to stay at Man Utd

Solskjaer had limited options in attack following Romelu Lukaku’s transfer to Inter earlier this summer. Now after not signing a replacement it could make matters worse, especially if Anthony Martial is ruled out for a long period of time after sustaining an injury in the weekend defeat to Crystal Palace.

Former Tottenham Hotspur striker Fernando Llorente was linked with United earlier this month, but Solskjaer denied reports they could sign the Spanish striker and stressed there was no interest in the player: “We are not looking at any more signings,” the manager said on Friday, as quoted by the Manchester Evening News.

United previously explored the possibility of signing Juventus duo Paulo Dybala and Mario Mandzukic but neither deal materialised.

Should Sanchez leave United, Solskjaer has the following forwards to choose from: Marcus Rashford, Martial, Daniel James, Mason Greenwood, Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes. That’s a very young group of players.

Llorente may not be the type of striker Solskjaer wants, but he wouldn’t be the worst option as a Plan B until the end of the season.

The former Bilbao man needs a club and is not likely to get be offered a deal at a bigger club than United.

More Stories Alexis Sanchez fernando llorente Romelu Lukaku