Manchester United sit seventh in the Premier League in January and are unlikely to make any signings in the winter transfer market.
That is according to the Manchester Evening News’ leading MUFC correspondent, Samuel Luckhurst, who states that United won’t add to their squad unless one of their summer transfer targets became available.
With Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria being a reported target and available for around €6-7 million this month, I think this is a clear sign that Ralf Rangnick and co have someone else in mind for that defensive midfield role.
It is a shame because the team has struggled all season due to lacking a strong midfield core, therefore, weaker opposition have been allowed to come out on top in the middle of the park.
Luckhurst writes: “A midfield addition has been prioritised for the summer and United are also expected to target an attacker amid the likelihood of several senior forwards leaving.”
I don’t know how good Zakaria is – I don’t claim to watch Monchengladbach very often – so it’s hard to believe all of the hype about him on social media.
Looks like Mönchengladbach are happy to listen to offers for Zakaria, the midfielder's contract runs out in the summer… 👀
— Stretford Paddock (@StretfordPaddck) January 13, 2022
Like I said, for a mere £7m he could be ours this month and it sounds like United are going to pass on that opportunity.
The report goes on to explain that United have a “bloated squad of 29 players” and failure to sell players in the summer has contributed to the inactivity so far this month.
Rangnick has already said he thinks the squad is too big, so don’t be surprised if we see some outgoings before transfer deadline day.