From the latest round of COVID-19 testing, carried out by the Premier League, there were 103 new positive cases reported.
This helps explain why several Premier League fixtures have been postponed in recent weeks – including two of our matches against Brentford and Brighton.
A statement from the Premier League read: “The League can today confirm that between Monday 20 December and Sunday 26 December, 15,186 COVID-19 tests were administered on players and club staff. Of these, there were 103 new positive cases.
“The Premier League’s COVID-19 Emergency Measures include protocols such as wearing face coverings while indoors, observing social distancing, limiting treatment time, as well as the increased testing. The League is continuing to work with clubs to keep people safe by helping mitigate the risks of COVID-19 within their squads.
“We are also liaising closely with the Government, local authorities and supporter groups, while being responsive to any future changes to national or local guidance.
“The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency.”
Thankfully, the Reds are back in action tonight for the first time in over two weeks, with a trip to St James’ Park on the cards.
Previous test results
- 2 Aug-8 Aug 3,118 tested; 9 positive
- 9 Aug-15 Aug 3,231 tests; 11 positive
- 16 Aug-22 Aug 3,060 tests; 16 positive
- 23 Aug-29 Aug 3,020 tests; six positive
- 30 Aug-5 Sep 1,952 tests; two positive
- 6 Sep-12 Sep 3,039 tests; three positive
- 13 Sep-19 Sep 3,154 tests; two positive
- 20 Sep-26 Sep 3,010 tests; one positive
- 27 Sep-3 Oct 2,927 tests; four positive
- 4 Oct-10 Oct 1,696 tests; zero positive
- 11 Oct-17 Oct 3,044 tests; six positive
- 18 Oct-24 Oct 3,209 tests; four positive
- 25-31 Oct 3,006 tests; four positive
- 1-7 Nov 2,953 tests; three positive
- 8-14 Nov 1,647 tests; four positive
- 15-21 Nov 3,188 tests; six positive
- 22-28 Nov 3,379 tests; seven positive
- 29 Nov-5 Dec 3,154 tests; 12 positive
- 6-12 Dec 3,805 tests; 42 positive
- 13-19 Dec 12,345 tests; 90 positive
Test results courtesy of the Premier League