Menu

Marcus Rashford urges Boris Johnson to axe £20 Universal Credit cut

Marcus Rashford is urging Boris Johnson not to axe the £20-a-week Universal Credit uplift.

The Manchester United star warned (via Manchester Evening News): “Instead of removing vital support, we should be focusing on developing a long-term roadmap out of this child hunger pandemic.”

Rashford, 23, is not only a household name because he represents England and Manchester United. He is also an incredible campaigner who last year forced Prime Minister Boris Johnson into a U-turn on free school meals.

He added: “On October 6, millions lose a lifeline. It’s a move that Child Poverty Action Group says will raise child poverty to one in three.”

The aim is to lead the Government to adopt recommendations to prevent child hunger, so more qualifying for free school meals, long-term funding for holiday programmes and boosting “healthy start” support for pregnant women and under-fives.

Speaking at the launch of the campaign, Rashford said (via politics.co.uk): “Whilst we’ve come a long way in the last 20 months, placing the issue of child food poverty at the forefront, devastatingly, the issue is getting worse not better.”

As a footballer, Rashford has always wanted to give something back and that is exactly what he’s done. Right now, he is recovering from injury, but it always amazes us how he fits in so many different important battles to his already hectic life.

More Stories boris johnson Marcus Rashford

One response to “Marcus Rashford urges Boris Johnson to axe £20 Universal Credit cut”

  1. K Smith says:

    Marcus, why don’t you pack in football and become an MP?