Manchester United are set for a busy transfer window this summer after sporadic spending last year but are not said to be prioritising a midfielder, unless one, or both, of Paul Pogba and Donny van de Beek leave the club.
That’s according to reliable journalist Fabrizio Romano, who was quizzed on the club’s pursuit of a midfielder this summer. Solskjaer is yet to sign a midfielder with defensive pedigree since he joined in 2018, but recruited Bruno Fernandes and Donny van de Beek, who both prefer to operate further up the pitch.
depends by Pogba and Donny future
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) June 11, 2021
Focus is currently elsewhere, with the club believed to be close to sealing a transfer for Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho. The 21-year-old has been a longstanding target of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and after last year’s disappointing collapse in negotiations, it looks like the Norwegian is finally getting his number one target.
Mason Greenwood has done filled in on the right side of the attack, but is said to prefer a central role. Daniel James hasn’t done enough to claim the position, leaving a spot open for the manager to bring in Sancho.