There have been calls for the Prime Minister to tighten lockdown measures due to the spread of coronavirus cases, and Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was asked to give his thoughts on the worsening situation.
Boris Johnson has announced that England will be in lockdown until mid-February as COVID-19 cases increase.
The Prime Minister announced that all primary schools, secondary schools and colleges will move to remote provision from today, however, this does not apply to the children of key workers and vulnerable children who will be able to attend in person.
News of another lockdown comes after the UK’s four Chief Medical Officers met on Monday to discuss the pandemic, along with concerns over the new variant of the virus.
The biggest worry from the UK government is the NHS becoming overwhelmed with cases without further action, so they’re trying to tackle it before it gets worse.
People have been warned to stay at home with restrictions.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was asked for his thoughts and said the following:
“It’s a hard and difficult situation for everyone, last year since March until now has been a testing time for everyone and we are privileged to play football under protocols, hopefully we can continue, mentally it would be a release to watch games in full lockdown again, hopefully we can continue, but we have to work hard to stay in guidelines and keep the show on the road,” he said during his press conference this morning, as per Manchester Evening News.
Football hasn’t been stopped so at least we have something to take us away from the constant negativity.
That said, this is another setback in welcoming fans back to Old Trafford because we are going to have to wait longer.
More COVID-19 updates via Sky News.