Manchester United have been long linked with Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho.
After leaving Manchester City in search of first team football in 2017, the young Englishman established himself as a starlet in the Bundesliga and ever since then he has been linked with a return to the Premier League.
Even closer to home, there has been constant speculation about him coming back to Manchester, but to join United rather than City. They are set to lose Leroy Sane this summer and if they’re able to make signings you can bet your bottom dollar Pep Guardiola would like Sancho to make a U-turn.
Everything suggests Sancho wants to join United and some might say Champions League football could be a massive factor in his next move. Trusted German journalist Raphael Honigstein told The Athletic the promise of being the main man in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team could be enough to persuade Sancho to move to Old Trafford, back in August: “I think United, certainly want a player of his appeal and prospect to build a new squad around. He’s English and that’s part of their thinking.
“Manchester United can’t promise titles to Sancho straight away. But they can promise him to be the leading star in a new team that is emerging. From what I’ve been told that is quite appealing to him.”
Follow the author: @ODonnellDale
However, today United leaked news to Sky Sports, admitting they are in the market for Sancho — but won’t pay over £50m for his transfer fee.
I say convenient timing…
Yesterday, June 29, Dortmund reported big losses due to coronavirus. The same club whose CEO Hans-Joachim Watze recently said there would be no COVID-19 discount on Sancho, in a report cited by the Metro.
“If Jadon comes up to us and says he absolutely wants to leave — which has not been the case so far — and a club wants to pay what we want, then we will discuss it.
“I don’t think a club will pay the sum. There is also no coronavirus discount on him.
“We have left the period where we had to sell players. I don’t think there will be a summer transfer.
“We have a more unusual situation next year than usual. With the exception of Achraf Hakimi [moving to Inter Milan] the team will stay together. That helps with development.”
Some research led me to an article on DW, a Germany focused publication written in English, running a report on a stock market statement Dortmund made yesterday.
Games held behind closed doors have led to losses of around €45m (£41m) and they reported a surplus of €17.4m last season.
It’s clear Dortmund have money issues and I’m not sure I buy their stance on coronavirus cuts in the transfer market.
Dortmund couldn’t sign Hakimi because they didn’t have the money to. They are trying to sign Birmingham starlet Jude Bellingham as their next emerging star because they know Sancho won’t stay forever.
It also looks like they are waiting on Thomas Meunir’s contract to expire before signing him because they can’t afford to pay the compensation now.
And we probably shouldn’t ignore how Dortmund’s only asset — with the exception of Erling Haaland — hardly played after the restart.
This smells like an aggressive warning from United by making it clear that they won’t be held ransom – regardless of how phenomenal we all know Sancho is.
Maybe after years of poor recruitment United are changing their strategy? Maybe…