Manchester United have reacted to the Premier League’s decision to suspend football matches until 3 April.
A call was made after Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea player Callum Hudon-Odoi both tested positive for coronavirus.
COVID-19 is not putting a spot to sporting events and it’s an absolute joke that the Cheltenham Festival has gone ahead throughout the week.
The Red Devils were scheduled to face Tottenham Hotspur in the league this weekend — in a game that would help decide on who would be in the race for top four come May.
However, it doesn’t look like we will see much football for the foreseeable future and the Premier League are aware this is likely to drag on longer than 3 April.
United’s FA Cup tie against Norwich City on Sunday 22 March has also been postponed.
We will have more updates with coronavirus putting a complete stop to football for the time being. UEFA will have to make a decision on Euro 2020 and the rest of their club competition campaigns, and football has only ever witnessed something like this during war.
Full Manchester United statement on games postponed to combat coronavirus
Following the announcement today that the upcoming two rounds of Premier League competition and the upcoming round of FA Cup fixtures are to be suspended, Manchester United’s Premier League fixture at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 15 March and Norwich City in the FA Cup on Sunday 22 March have both been postponed.
Academy games and our Women’s Super League fixtures will also be postponed until at least Saturday 4 April.
Clearly this is a rapidly evolving situation as part of collective efforts to combat the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). We trust that our fans will understand that protection of public health must be the priority.
New dates for our postponed games, and any decision about games subsequent to the current postponement period, will be confirmed as soon as possible, based on discussions with the governing bodies and any further guidance from the UK government.
It is currently planned that the postponements will allow the games to eventually go ahead with supporters in attendance, in which case existing tickets would remain valid. Further information on this will be provided to supporters as soon as more details are known.
Ed Woodward, Executive Vice Chairman, said:
“While it is disappointing to see the season paused, we recognise there are bigger considerations as part of the need to help slow the spread of coronavirus.”
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, First Team Manager, said:
“I would like to thank our fans for their tremendous support so far this season and we look forward to welcoming them back to Old Trafford as soon as is safely possible.”
Manchester United encourages fans around the world to follow health guidelines and thanks them for their support.