Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provided a worrying response when asked about possible transfers in Tuesday morning’s press conference ahead of the Carabao Cup semi-final second leg against Man City.
The United boss again had to dismiss talk of Bruno Fernandes and told a reporter that he wasted a question by asking about the Portuguese international.
“I haven’t got any updates for you on transfers, I think it was a waste [of a question], I gave you the option. I haven’t got anything to say now, my mind is on the game,” Solskjaer said, as quoted by the Evening Standard.
“We’ve got players here we’re working hard to get back as well and if there is something out there the club is pursuing that.
“It’s difficult. I can’t remember how many good ones we’ve brought in and good deals in January.
“Henrik (Larsson) was good, Nemanja (Vidic) and Patrice (Evra). It’s hard, very hard. The clubs don’t want to lose their best players and Alexis (Sanchez) will come back in the summer and will prove us all wrong.”
This was a particularly worrying update from Solskjaer and we feel that it spells the end of any hope for additions this month.
It was clear the United boss had to be backed in January but yet again the club have failed him by bringing in no new signings.
It’s remarkable that the need for midfield and attacking signings was glaringly obvious in the summer, and has been accentuated further through injuries but still nobody will be brought on.
As much as Solskjaer doesn’t show it in the press, this must be hugely frustrating by the Norwegian who has seen just three incomings in three transfer windows in his supposed ‘rebuild’.
His comments on Alexis Sanchez are also interesting; it appears the Chilean will be given a chance to resurrect his United career this summer after what has so far been a disastrous switch from Arsenal.