Barcelona suffer setback in pursuit to sign Manchester United full-back

Manchester United have told Barcelona that Diogo Dalot will not be leaving the club in January, according to reports.

Dalot has had a good run in the team under Erik ten Hag since the beginning of the season and, as first choice in a position we have little depth in, it would make zero sense to sell him in the summer.

The Portugal international is now considered a firm first-choice right-back ahead of Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who I am sure United are open to offers for…

Sport claim Barcelona enquired about Dalot and were told that a January switch was impossible.

Dalot’s current deal at United expires in the summer, but United are likely to trigger his 12-month extension to keep him at the club for at least one more year.

It’s been great to see Dalot make the most of his chances this season and he was on the scoresheet against FC Sheriff on Thursday night. I can’t see how he doesn’t make the Portugal squad for the World Cup.

United need to sign a right-back

Like I mentioned earlier in this piece, Ten Hag doesn’t have a lot of depth in the right-back department. It was rare to see Dalot come off in the Europa League match during the week and that has partly been down the fact Wan-Bissaka has been injured since the beginning of the season.

I still don’t think – now that Wan-Bissaka is back fit – the English right-back will get many minutes this season.

Not unless Dalot picks up an injury at some point.

That is why United need to improve in the right-back department. It would be best to sign a play that will at least challenge Dalot for his place in the team.

More Stories Barcelona Diogo Dalot Manchester United