It’s far from certain that Cristiano Ronaldo will remain at Manchester United for the second year of his contract after the 37-year-old asked to leave the club.
Ronaldo has just 12 months remaining on the deal he signed roughly one year ago and after missing out on Champions League football, it’s being reported that he is looking for a way out.
Chelsea have been heavily linked with a move for Ronaldo but Erik ten Hag shut down any talks for the Portuguese international leaving last week, insisting that they are planning the season with him.
Ronaldo’s failure to show up for training has fuelled rumours of his exit but his absence is down to family reasons – at least that’s the official wording.
Now, a new report has suggested that another club has joined Chelsea in the race to sign Ronaldo. According to Le Parisien, the local Paris publication, Ronaldo’s representatives offered the player to Paris Saint-Germain.
As per the report, Jorge Mendes, Ronaldo’s agent, offered the striker to the French giants but was told that there is no place for the superstar in the side.
Furthermore, PSG are said to be content with their attacking options and would struggle to meet Ronaldo’s financial demands.
With each passing week, it’s looking increasingly unlikely that any side will be able to take Ronaldo on. Most elite teams already have a settled forward and those who don’t will find it challenging to house his wages.
With a year remaining on his contract, United are under no pressure to sell and would be fine with letting him go on a free transfer next year.
The possibility of a protracted saga is, however, something they must be aware of as it could impact their pre-season preparations. Should he leave, it’s also imperative that a replacement is lined up.
Anthony Martial spearheaded United’s attack in their 4-0 wi over Liverpool on Tuesday but he is not an out-and-out striker.