Although Manchester United have submitted an improved £43 million bid for Lisandro Martinez, with add-ons included, it is believed that Ajax are saying that the Argentine’s departure is still out of the question.
The bid was reported by the Daily Mail on Friday morning and the article stated that United had reached the Dutch side’s asking price to beat Arsenal to the defender’s signature.
However, that no longer seems to be the case.
De Telegraaf’s chief football reporter Mike Verweij revealed an update on Dutch television this evening, and it doesn’t look like United’s second bid for Martinez has been successful.
He said (via Sport Bible): “Ajax are still saying that a departure of Lisandro Martinez is out of the question, even for Manchester United’s current bid of €50m – so they have to go even higher.”
🚨🗣️ – @MikeVerweij: "Ajax is still saying that a departure of Lisandro Martínez is out of question, even for the current bid (€50M). So Manchester United will have to go even higher." pic.twitter.com/K4Jgid9Vyx
— 𝐀𝐅𝐂 𝐀𝐉𝐀𝐗 💎 (@TheEuropeanLad) July 8, 2022
It has been suggested that Manchester United want €50m to be a guaranteed sum rather than the €45m + €5m in add-ons which Verweij previously said United had offered in their second bid.
🇳🇱 NIEUWS #Ajax ontvangt verhoogd bod van Manchester United op @LisandrMartinez: 50 miljoen euro, inclusief bonussen.
🏴 BREAKING #Ajax receives increased bid from Manchester United for @LisandrMartinez: 50 million euros, including bonuses. #MUFC https://t.co/g5KvWK7Hdv
— Mike Verweij (@MikeVerweij) July 7, 2022
The first team jetted off for the first leg of their pre-season tour today and with just one new signing named in the 31-man squad, the clock is ticking against John Murtough and the recruitment team to deliver.
Fans are still waiting to hear positive news on Christian Eriksen, while there’s still some work to be done to complete a deal for Barcelona midfield ace Frenkie de Jong.
Patience has been required this summer.