Menu

Ralf Rangnick says Mason Greenwood arrest was a “human disaster”

Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick has referred to the ongoing police investigation surrounding Mason Greenwood as a “human disaster” after the forward was arrested in January.

The academy graduate had been a regular in the team before he was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault a young woman. He was later further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill.

United didn’t waste any time and suspended Greenwood from any club activity. That means he hasn’t played or trained with the team since the allegations were made public.

Speaking to reporters on Friday afternoon, Rangnick explained the damage it had done – both to Greenwood as an individual but also the club.

Rangnick said (via The Mirror): “The issue around Mason was a disaster for everybody.

“It was a human disaster, it’s a personal [disaster]. It’s not good for himself, obviously, and for his family it hasn’t been good but it also hasn’t been good for the club. He was regularly playing at the time.”

The headlines in January brought a great deal of shame to everyone connected to the club — and to a point I don’t think he will can ever return to the team, even in the case that his charges are dropped.

In terms of updates on Greenwood, we are expecting a hearing to be held in June.

Rangnick also spoke about wanting to bring in a new forward in the January transfer market, but the board declined the opportunity to strengthen the squad midway through the campaign.

Julian Alvarez would have made a lot of sense but Manchester City got their nose in before us.

More Stories Manchester United Mason Greenwood Ralf Rangnick

Comments are closed.