Last week, Manchester United shattered social media records with their initial announcement of Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to the club. It had been anticipated in recent years but few actually expected their wish to come to fruition.
At first, it looked like the 36-year-old would break the hearts of United supporters by moving to Manchester City. Instead, the Old Trafford club flexed their muscles and swooped in at the 11th hour.
Now, journalist and transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano has revealed that Bruno Fernandes contacted Ronaldo last week after a series of key calls between the player and powerful people involved in the transfer.
Fernandes was in ‘direct talks’ with Ronaldo, with the contacts believed to have been made on the evening leading to the day United announced the deal (August 27).
Furthermore, Romano details how Fernandes told Ronaldo to make a return to United, arguing that ‘we want you here’, with the former Real Madrid forward said to be ‘immediately tempted’.
Since United’s full announcement earlier this week, Ronaldo became the all-time top goalscorer in men’s international football and he could make his second debut for the club next week against Newcastle.