Manchester United’s pursuit of Raphael Varane has been widely covered by now. The Frenchman has just one year remaining on his current contract at Real Madrid, prompting Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to reignite the club’s interest in the defender.
Varane nearly joined one decade ago when Sir Alex Ferguson sounded out the signing but then 18-year-old Varane instead opted for a move to Spain.
A sticking point this summer, however, has been Real Madrid’s asking price. Despite the prospect of losing Varane for nothing in 12 months, or the player signing a pre-contract in January, they are said to be demanding a high fee.
Rumours of Manchester United asking to include players in the deal have circulated social media, with Donny van de Beek, a Real Madrid target in the past, touted as a possible makeweight in the deal.
Man Utd asked for Varane one week ago on direct contact – but there’s still no official bid, waiting for Real price tag.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) July 9, 2021
The suggestion has now been denied by journalist and transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano, who claims that no such discussions have taken place during talks over Varane.
In addition to ruling out the sensational swap, Romano also says that the two clubs were in direct contact last week but that no official bid has been sent for the player.