Sky Sports reporter Kaveh Solekhol has claimed on the Transfer Centre show that Manchester United have made a fresh offer for Leicester City defender Harry Maguire.
Solekhol said he could not yet confirm the bid was made, but says one source has told him that the Reds have made a world record offer believed to be in the region of £80m for the 26-year-old.
Kaveh Solhekol: "We're waiting for confirmation, but from what we're being told on Harry Maguire, is that #mufc have made a new bid for him, a new world record bid for a defender – the bid is believed to be in the region of £80m." #mulive [sky]
— utdreport (@utdreport) July 31, 2019
Maguire to Manchester United has been one of the transfer sagas of the summer and it looks to be heading down to the wire, with just over a week until the transfer window slams shut.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reportedly identified the Englishman as his priority defensive target this summer, with the Reds desperately needing an accomplished central defender to partner Victor Lindelof this season.
However, as of yet, no deal has yet been agreed for Maguire; BBC reported earlier that the Foxes are still holding out for £90m for their star defender, with the two clubs still apart in their valuations.
Surely a figure of £80m would be enough to make Leicester sell Maguire, given the Englishman is also said to be keen on a move to Old Trafford.
It seems ridiculous the fee the Reds will have to pay to secure the services of Maguire seen as Virgil Van Dijk signed for Liverpool for £75m. However, a new central defender is a must this summer and Maguire would undoubtedly improve one of Solskjaer’s side’s key areas of weakness.