Mino Raiola has confirmed Matthjis de Ligt has agreed personal terms with Juventus, although work is now being done with Ajax to find an agreement for the player’s transfer fee.
“Matthijs has agreed personal terms with Juve,” Raiola said, as per Manchester Evening News.
“We’re waiting for them to complete the agreement with Ajax soon.”
French journalist Julien Laurens said that United and PSG have both reached an agreement with Ajax for De Ligt, as reported by The Express, but that doesn’t mean the player was any closer to joining those clubs because he would have had to agree personal terms first.
De Ligt appears to prefer Juve over the rest and his arrival will go a long way towards strengthening the side for next season’s Champions League. Last year’s big summer signing – Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid – will hope this is the year the Italian champions run riot in Europe.
Barcelona were another club considered strong contenders for the Ajax skipper’s signature. A deal never materialised so they could be looking elsewhere for a new centre-back.
And, with United’s defence being so problematic, it’s no wonder United were interested in the Netherlands international.
Leicester City’s Harry Maguire appears to be the new priority signing at centre-back.
So, @ManUtd have indeed offered £70m for Harry Maguire. @LCFC board are aware of Maguire’s wishes. Not the type to agitate but wrong to say he is happy to stay. However, Leicester’s valuation is over £70m so bit of work to do on this one.
— Simon Stone (@sistoney67) July 2, 2019
Surely United can find a replacement better than Maguire – and for cheaper!