Louis van Gaal faced the press this week expecting to be asked questions on new Chelsea signin Pedro after reports of Manchester United losing out on the former Barcelona attacker.
Below is a summary of Friday’s press conference prior to Saturday’s Premier League encounter versus Newcastle.
– Van Gaal claims he has no issue with Woody after the failure to capture Pedro.
“No-one should doubt Ed Woodward.”
– The manager accuses the press for taking his previous Pedro quotes out of context. Yes, they may have, but he’s lying if he says United weren’t interested in taking the player to Old Trafford. Whoops, sorry, they always wanted Mane.
“When I said Pedro fitted the profile I could not lie. I said yes. You (the media) said I was interested. You put my comments into another context. I never said he was coming.”
Neither did the press, Louis. They said you were interested and you were. If Woodward offered an extra few million and met Pedro’s buyout clause, the player in question would be at Manchester United. Not Chelsea.
– Asked if fans could expect more incomers before the transfer window closes, van Gaal said: “You have to wait and see. There’s no pressure on me – we have 28 players.”
– Marcos Rojo is lacking match fitness, therefore, is not ready to feature just yet.
When the Argentine returns it will be interesting to see if he gets a place in the starting eleven straight away. Daley Blind has been doing well at centre-back alongside Chris Smalling.
– “Maybe tomorrow,” van Gaal responded when asked if Bastian Schweinsteiger would get his first start of the season against Newcastle.
– Phil Jones is the only player out due to injury or illness. The England international has done some running in training this week.