Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at Manchester United was one of the main talking points this summer, with the forward seeking to leave the club following the failure to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Chelsea, who spent more money than any other Premier League club this year, were said to be one of the clubs interested in taking the Portugal international.
A move to Chelsea didn’t materialise, however, and neither did a switch to any other club. Ronaldo ended up staying at the club and will instead see out the remainder of his contract.
At the time, Thomas Tuchel was said to be against the signing of Ronaldo as Chelsea’s new American owners, led by Todd Boehly, were in favour of it.
According to The Telegraph, failure to find common ground on that issue instead created a divide between Tuchel and Boehly, which eventually led to the German being sacked earlier on Wednesday.
As per the report, Tuchel was unequivocal in his response when Boehly lobbied the idea of signing Ronaldo and that was poorly received by the American, who wanted an explanation rather than a one-word answer.
United were steadfast in their stance that Ronaldo was not for sale over the summer but with the transfer deadline day approaching, there were suggestions that the Reds had relaxed that stance.
The transfer window has been closed for roughly a week and should Chelsea have sacked Tuchel a week earlier, it’s possible that the London club would have tried to sign Ronaldo over Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
United were reportedly open to letting Ronaldo leave in the final weeks of the window and his departure could have paved the way for a replacement to be signed.
This is all guesswork, however. The window has slammed shut and there’s no way of knowing for sure. Depending on who the next Chelsea manager is, they might try to sign Ronaldo again in January.