Borussia Dortmand CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke says he will assess the future of young star Jadon Sancho ‘ every year’ as he conceded it will be difficult to keep hold of the Englishman.
It had been reported that Manchester United were interested in a move for Sancho, who scored 12 goals and contributed 14 assists in the Bundesliga last season to help Dortmund to a second place finish.
Reliable BBC Sport journalist David Ornstein claimed last season that a deal for the 19-year-old was very possible, and that he was one of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s priority targets this summer.
BBC’s David Ornstein claims a couple of months ago Jadon Sancho to #mufc was ‘nailed on’ but the club’s current state makes things 50-50.
Old Trafford his preferred destination though. pic.twitter.com/3eqLOEmST3
— Alex Turk👨🏻💻⚽️ (@AlexTurkRS) May 14, 2019
Ornstein said that Old Trafford would be Sancho’s preferred destination, but his reluctance to give up Champions League football eventually meant that he stayed in Germany.
“There aren’t many 19-year-olds with such a potential,” Dortmund CEO CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke told Ruhr Nachrichten.
“He is also not a player from the region or one who would have any connection to it.
“When you have a player like Jadon Sancho, you must reassess the situation every single year. Everything else would not be honest. If a foreign player is not convinced that the club is right for him at the exact time, it just does not make any sense.”
Sancho is one of the most talented youngsters in world football and matches Solskjaer’s recruitment mould of young, British talent.
The Reds don’t have a specialist in the right-wing role as it stands and Sancho is the type of player that could fit into Solskjaer’s fluid system perfectly.
United should go all in for the youngster next summer if they can qualify for Champions League football this season.