Manchester United turned down offers for Van de Beek

Donny van de Beek’s time at Manchester United has not gone to plan. After leaving Ajax two years ago, he is still nowhere near the starting line-up.

The Netherlands international struggled under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick before joining Everton on loan for the second half of last season. Injuries stopped him from having an impact at Goodison Park and the same has happened at United this season under Erik ten Hag, a manager who knows him best.

It will be interesting to see — now that Van de Beek is fit — if Ten Hag will give him more minutes in the side. He came off the bench on Thursday night against FC Sheriff in the Europa League and played well.

That said, I highly doubt he will be getting into the starting line-up for a run of games anytime soon, unless we suffer from a string of injuries after the World Cup.

There is a chance Van de Beek could leave the club in the near future, which is why I find it interesting that transfer guru Fabrizio Romano claims United rejected two approaches for the midfielder.

Writing in his Caught Offside column, Romano said: “Donny van de Beek made his return against FC Sheriff earlier this week and now it will take time to convince Ten Hag that he should be part of his plans.

“In August, two clubs approached United for Donny but they turned all ideas down. Nothing is decided for the midfielder’s future yet.”

Van de Beek has recently been linked with a move to La Liga side Valencia.

Van de Beek must prove himself

Unless Van de Beek can consistently show he has what it takes, like he did on Thursday night, he is only heading one way next summer.

The former Ajax star needs to stay fit and take his opportunities when they are given by the manager

Perhaps United should offer him to PSV Eindhoven and try to get Cody Gakpo in the same deal?

More Stories Donny van de Beek Manchester United