Roy Keane has backtracked on his now infamous rant on Harry Maguire last year. The former United midfielder was very critical of Maguire in the 1-1 draw at Tottenham last season, the first game for both sides after the coronavirus pandemic had put a halt to the season.
Tottenham went into the half-time in the lead after mistakes from Harry Maguire and David de Gea. “I’m shocked at that goal. I’ve watched a lot of football over the years but to give away that goal… I’m fuming here watching that game of football,” he said at half-time on Sky Sports.
But the former Ireland international has now gone back on his word, picking him in his best England team for this summers European competition.
🚨 𝐌𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐡 & 𝐑𝐨𝐲'𝐬 𝐑𝐨𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐖𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐲: Episode 1 🚨
There will be a new ep dropping every day 👀 pic.twitter.com/lEu5Qwr7VT
— Sky Bet (@SkyBet) June 7, 2021
“At centre-back, it has to be Maguire and John Stones I think. He’s recovered well from his mistake at Tottenham,” Keane told a cheerful Micah Richard. The 49-year-old rarely admits to his mistakes but has clearly recognized that his reaction, now nearly a year ago, was reactionary and over the top.
Harry Maguire has emerged as one of Manchester United’s most important players since that moment and his potential absence from the tournament due to injury will be a huge blow to England’s chances at European glory.