Borussia Dortmund do not plan on losing Jadon Sancho this summer.
In fact, their ‘decision is final’ according to sporting director Michael Zorc, who addressed the media today after Borussia Dortmund traveled to Switzerland — with Sancho on board — for their pre-season training camp.
While this is not the news we wanted this evening, it’s predictable to say the least. It would significantly weaken their negotiation status by coming out and saying something the opposite.
Zorc clearly wants United on edge — and to meet their transfer demands, though The Independent earlier today suggested that Sancho may need to force a move. Something he has been reluctant to do because of his good relationship with Dortmund.
The same report from The Independent claims Sancho had already said goodbye to members of Dortmund’s staff before returning for pre-season action. That shows how confident he was about a deal happening and we wonder now how he must be feeling after Zorc’s comments.
Dortmund’s sporting director said (via Borussia Dortmund’s official Twitter): “We plan with Jadon Sancho. He’ll play for us next season. The decision is final. I think that answers all of the questions.”
💬 Michael #Zorc in einer Medienrunde am Rande des Trainings: „Wir planen mit @Sanchooo10. Er wird nächste Saison bei uns spielen. Die Entscheidung ist definitiv. Ich glaube, das beantwortet alle Fragen.“ pic.twitter.com/6h6HfdJSPY
— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) August 10, 2020
With Dortmund suggesting a deal is off for Sancho, this just seems like a face-saving exercise.
Christian Falk claims Zorc also confirmed that Sancho signed a secret contract last year which keeps him at Dortmund until 2023… That about throwing a spanner in the works.
— Christian Falk (@cfbayern) August 10, 2020