Lazio president Claudio Lotio have given an update on the future of Manchester United long-term target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.
The 23-year-old midfielder has been considered hot property by clubs all over Europe for the best part of 12 months, with the Serb impressing at last summer’s World Cup in Russia.
Not just United, but Juventus and Real Madrid too, although it would be fair to say speculation is nowhere near as frequent as last year, which suggests a lot of that supposed interest in Milinkovic-Savic has cooled down.
That said, Il Gazzetta dello Sport insisted last week that United remain serious contenders for his signature and have seen an opening bid of £67m rejected by the Serie A outfit.
It was then claimed on Tuesday, through a cited report by TEAMtalk, that the bid had been raised to £72m. To add to that, SMS’s agent – former Chelsea player Mateja Kezman – was said to be in England last week to hold talks with United over a potential deal.
Lotito has come out addressing the situation surrounding SMS, but he did suggest the player will have the final say.
“We have created a glass house and undertsood that people cannot be forced to play their role in an environment where they feel restricted,” the club president told il Corriere Sport.
“This is not the case with Sergej. He showed great affection, responsibility and seriousness. It will depend on the events and not on the club. Last year I managed to reject the assaults, this year we could propose a matter of respect if the player were to propose a different solution.
“Lazio will never be weakened, but always strengthened, there is no doubt about this: it is our understanding.
“All the promoted actions have their objective the pride of the Lazio brand. We have moved from the phase in which no one believed in that of our objectives, today the team is permanently presented in European competitions.
“My players have to represent three parameters: technical potential, morality, functional economic compatibility.”