Cristiano Ronaldo’s lawyer, Peter Christiansen, describes documents in which the footballer reportedly admits to raping Kathryn Mayorga as “pure inventions” and says the ongoing case against the Juventus star is an “intention defamation campaign based on stolen and easily manipulated digital documents.”
Christensen claimed the documents related to Ronaldo’s case had been stolen in 2015 as part of a hack and subsequently altered, as he stressed his client’s innocence after allegations he sexually assaulted Mayorga in 2009.
READ MORE: Kathryn Mayorga lawyer reveals second sexual assault allegation against Cristiano Ronaldo
This incident allegedly occurred during the same summer Ronaldo left Manchester United to join Real Madrid, in a Las Vegas hotel.
According to legal documents produced by Ronaldo’s lawyers in the aftermath of the alleged incident, as reported by Der Spiegel, the Portugal international admitted that Mayorga had repeatedly said ‘stop’ several times during the incident.
The document in question contains verbal exchanges where Ronaldo allegedly answers a question as to whether Mayorga ever raised her voice, screamed or anything of that nature. It claimed Ronaldo was quoted as to saying: “She said no and stop several times.”
In the same document, Ronaldo reportedly says that she was lying on her side. “I entered her from behind,” he adds. “It was rude. We didn’t change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn’t want to, but she made herself available.” And further: “But she kept saying ‘No.’ ‘Don’t do it.’ ‘I’m not like the others.’ I apologised afterwards.”
However, Christiansen claims that such details were fabricated after the document was nicked following a hack in 2015.
“By 2015, dozens of entities (including law firms) in different parts of Europe were attacked and their electronic data stolen by a cyber criminal,” he said in a statement on Wednesday, as per The Independent.
“This hacker tried to sell such information, and a media outlet irresponsibly ended up publishing some of the stolen documents, significant parts of which were altered and / or completely fabricated.
“Once again, for the avoidance of doubt, Cristiano Ronaldo’s position has always been, and continues to be, that what happened in 2009 in Las Vegas was completely consensual.”
Still, Christiansen confirms that his client had entered into an out-of-court settlement with Mayorga in 2010, as reported by Der Spiegel.
“Cristiano Ronaldo does not deny that he agreed to enter into an agreement, but the reasons that led him to do so are at least to be distorted.
“This agreement is by no means a confession of guilt. What happened was simply that Cristiano Ronaldo merely followed the advice of his advisors in order to put an end to the outrageous accusations made against him.”
Meanwhile, The Times detail how key figures at Gestifute are quickly trying to work to repair the potential damage done to Ronaldo’s sponsorship dealings. Their findings detail how Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes may well have set up a photo opportunity for the Portuguese press to get pictures of the 33-year-old out enjoying a romantic dinner with his partner Georgina Rodriquez.
Whether The Times’ report has any truth in it or not, it would seem to be an attempt to boost Ronaldo’s image again as you’d suspect it has taken quite a hit in the last two-three weeks.
The sexual assault case into the incident has since been reopened by Las Vegas police, who initially closed their investigation in 2009.
— Mirror Football (@MirrorFootball) October 10, 2018