– Louis van Gaal tells MUTV that Michael Carrick, Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones will definitely miss Everton, while Daley Blind remains doubtful.
– Van Gaal also confirms that Rafael Da Silva is out for the season with a broken rib.
– Adnan Januzaj’s injury, sustained while playing for the U21s, is “not so heavy”.
– Jonny Evans is available for selection, and van Gaal tells MUTV it was “frustrating” to be without the defender through suspension.
– On Luke Shaw: “He played very well against Chelsea but I believe in Luke so, for me, it isn’t a surprise.”
– Van Gaal on the battle for a Champions League spot: “I’m always at a club to be a champion, but when we reach our goal, we are happy.” The manager says the players buy into his philosophy: “When they believe in you, they want to convince you [of their ability].”
– Louis van Gaal refused to be drawn on speculation linking the Reds with PSV Eindhoven’s Memphis Depay. “I don’t discuss it with the media,” he insisted. “You know my answer. I have a lot of relationships with players. I cannot buy all the players I have coached already.”
– Van Gaal was also asked about Robin van Persie’s return. “Yes, he has to train very hard, play in the second team,” the boss added. “He has to show his qualities again. Then I have to compare him with the positions he can play, with the players that play in that position – it is always the same.”
– Van Gaal on Marouane Fellaini’s return to Goodison Park: “I hope he’ll get a reception like Juan Mata did at Chelsea. I liked that very much.”